.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Evergreen firefighters extinguish attic fire at home

    Evergreen firefighters extinguished a fire in a home on Mariposa Road that apparently started in the chimney early Sunday morning.

  • Evergreen entrepreneur targets global shortages

    As an environmental entrepreneur, Evergreen resident Benjamin Brandt says his mission is to address "a global perfect storm."

    “There are too many mouths to feed and not enough land, or fish in the ocean, to meet future food demands,” Brandt said at the Jan. 10 meeting of Evergreen’s Alliance for Sustainability.

    “We’re strip-mining the ocean. We’re seeing whole-system collapse,” he remarked. “Most of the disease and deaths in the world are attributed to poor water quality and malnutrition.”

  • Denver seeking operator for Evergreen Golf Course, restaurant

    The Denver Department of Parks and Recreation has issued a request for proposals to operate the Evergreen Golf Course and Keys on the Green restaurant.

    A mandatory pre-proposal meeting for anyone interested is scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 17, at the golf course concession facility on Upper Bear Creek Road. The deadline for sealed proposals is 2 p.m. Jan. 31.

    Keys on the Green restaurant and golf shop at the Evergreen Golf Course has been closed since early November 2012, when former manager Ron Reif of RLR Inc. terminated his contract six months early.

  • Wulf Rec Center improvements in progress

    Construction fences placed around a freshly graded hill at Wulf Recreation Center mark the beginning of a project designed to make the facility more inviting and user-friendly.

    "The focus of the project is increased accessibility," said Scott Robson, executive director of the Evergreen Park and Recreation District. 

    Workers are replacing the steep walkways around the center with gently graded paths, making them easier for people with disabilities and parents pushing strollers to use.

  • Evergreen Fire-Rescue gearing up for radio-frequency shift

    Evergreen Fire/Rescue is switching from wide- to narrow-band radio to meet a federal mandate that took effect the first of the year.

    Using $700,000 in grant funds from the FCC Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau and an additional $234,000 recently received, the district is converting its radio program from ultra-high frequency to very-high frequency.

    “That was the big reason we got the grant,” said Fire Chief Mike Weege.

  • Opponents to fire board recall gathering support

    Evergreen resident Charlie Neppell is spearheading an initiative to oppose the recall of fire district board members.

    "In less than a week since the filing of the petitions to recall all five of the directors of the board of the Evergreen Fire/Rescue district, a number of citizens from diverse areas of the district have expressed their strong view that this recall needs to be opposed vigorously," Neppell stated.

    Neppell and other residents who support the fire district board members have formed a committee to oppose the recalls.

  • Cycling across America for a good cause

    Watching her elderly father cope with advancing symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease has inspired Evergreen resident Bell Brinn to ride her bicycle from California to Florida.

     

    “I’m doing this as a fund-raiser for Alzheimer’s,” Brinn said while talking about her upcoming tour.

    Since deciding to make the trip, Brinn has received $8,000 in donations for the Colorado chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association. Her goal is raising $15,000 by March when she begins her journey with a Women’s Tours group.

  • Keeping safe while heating with stoves

    Whether fueled by wood or gas, a stove in the corner of a room is a welcome source of heat for many mountain residents in the wintertime.

    However, heating stoves can create safety hazards if they aren't installed and monitored properly.

    Evergreen Fire/Rescue recently responded to a call from a resident who reported that the carbon-monoxide monitor in his home was giving high readings. Investigation showed that a gas heater in the house was emitting dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, which can be lethal in high concentrations. 

  • Evergreen Fire District's bond refinancing brings taxpayer savings

    Taking advantage of historically low interest rates, the Evergreen Fire Protection District reaped $684, 417 in savings by refinancing nearly $6 million in bonds on Dec. 18.

    Taxpayers in the fire district are benefiting from the bond refinancing through a resulting mill levy decrease from 1.66 to 1.46 mills.

    The refunding of $5,855,000 of the district's 2003 bonds, which carried yields of 3.10 to 4.10 percent, were replaced with bonds with yields ranging from 0.60 to 2.15 percent. The refinancing will bring annual savings averaging $85,000 from 2013 to 2023.

  • Relay for Life needs help with planning for 2013 event

    The American Cancer Society is looking for several volunteers to fill committee positions for the Conifer area’s 2013 Relay for Life.

    Participants in the event walk in teams around a track for 12 hours to raise funds for cancer research.

    The mountain area hosted its first Relay for Life in recent years in August 2012 at Conifer High School. About 150 people participated, including 20 cancer survivors, and they raised about $27,000. Amanda Doubet, American Cancer Society community relationship manager, said 2012 saw a good turnout.