A house on South Cedar Road near Evergreen Lake is virtually a total loss after a fire broke out in the middle of the night, sending two occupants running for safety with none of their belongings other than a cordless house phone.
The fire was reported about 1 a.m. April 27. Kemper Smothers, who was renting the home, and his girlfriend, Geri Skeers, escaped the blaze without injury. Smothers had lived there about 10 years. The house was 80 to 90 years old.
The occupants were sleeping at the time and woke up to the smell of smoke, which had reached the second story.