.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Don't let bears get too comfortable at home, says wildlife officer

    A bear that had been making visits to an Evergreen home was euthanized recently, said Jennifer Churchill, spokesperson for Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

    Evergreen firefighters initially rescued the yearling bear from a tree after a wildlife officer had tranquilized it. However, because the bruin had become comfortable foraging at homes, it had to be put down, said Churchill.

    While there have been other reports of bear sightings in Evergreen, so far the season has been “pretty typical,” she said.

  • Rodeo dance to feature local musicians

    The Evergreen Elks Lodge is hosting a traditional rodeo dance on Saturday with live music by Steve Stoddard and the Blinker Fluid Band and other local musicians. 

     

    “They’re all pros — one of the most diverse groups,” said Stoddard.

    The band plays a range of old country tunes to classic and modern rock, disco and funk, he said.

  • Evergreen firefighters led effort to contain Bluebell Fire

    Capt. Scott Martin of Evergreen Fire/Rescue said that when he saw 40-foot flames while heading down Buffalo Park Road on June 3, he immediately called for mutual aid.

     

    “Capt. Martin did the right thing,” said Evergreen Fire Chief Mike Weege while talking about the Bluebell Fire, which scorched more than 10 acres last week.

    Strong winds fueled the wildfire, which started when a 48-foot tree made contact with two high-voltage power lines on wooded property near Bluebell Lane.

  • Stage 1 fire ban in effect in unincorporated Jeffco, areas of Clear Creek County

    A temporary stage 1 fire ban took effect at 5 p.m. June 11 in areas of unincorporated Jefferson County.

    The next day, a stage 1 fire ban went into effect for the following areas of Clear Creek County, including areas in the Evergreen Fire Protection District: Floyd Hill, Saddleback, Beaver Brook and lands east of Little Bear on Highway 103.

    Recreational fires, except within a permanent fire grate at a park, campground, private residence or picnic area, are prohibited. Smoking must be done in areas that are cleared of all combustible material.

  • Sheriff's Calls

    C’mon back when you can’t stay so long

  • Fire at Bandimere Speedway injures one

    A propane fire at Bandimere Speedway in Morrison injured one person Monday morning.

    An 80-pound propane tank was involved in the blaze, according to West Metro Fire's Twitter account. One person was injured and taken to the hospital.

    Smoke from the fire was visible from C-470.

    Check back at www.columbinecourier.com and follow @RamseyColumbine on Twitter for updates.

  • Memories of Lower North Fork Fire still haunt residents of area

    The Bluebell Fire that broke out in Evergreen on Monday quickly brought back difficult and disturbing memories for residents whose lives were touched by the Lower North Fork Fire south of Conifer in March 2012.
    “I think people are acting pretty calm right now,” said Sharon Breunlin, who evacuated Black Mountain on Monday with her husband, Randy. “I think people will stay that way, and until we get specific news, there’s not too much to be worried about right now.”

  • Couple watched view change from fabulous to flames

    Nancy and David Craig bought a house on Skunk Alley off Brook Forest Drive because of the fabulous view.
    On Monday, their view was of flames shooting 5 to 10 feet above the trees.
    The couple, who have lived in Evergreen since December, were still under an evacuation advisory on Tuesday morning because of their house’s proximity to the Bluebell Fire.
    They attended the news media briefing Tuesday morning in Bergen Park to learn more and to see if there was an estimate of when they could return home. There wasn’t.

  • Evacuees lean on one another at Conifer High School

    Hundreds of evacuees from Monday’s Bluebell Fire took shelter at Conifer High School, finding comfort in one another’s companionship and waiting for news.

  • Goldbach dedicated career to fire service, education

    Former Evergreen resident George Goldbach spent more than 50 years of his life in fire service, including three years as a member of the Evergreen Fire Protection District board.

    He died on May 24, 2013, at the age of 76.

    A New York native, Goldbach began his extensive career in professional fire service as a member of the New York City Fire Department in the 1970s. He was promoted to the rank of lieutenant before moving to Lakewood in the 1980s.