A hazardous chemical spill at a home in a residential area of Evergreen on Monday evening turned out to be nitric acid that had been stored in a keg-size container.
Authorities found two kegs and some 28 drums, most of which were empty, that had been piling up under some trees since the mid-‘60s.
Someone from the home was cleaning up the area about 5 p.m. Monday when one of the barrels accidentally tipped, releasing a sludgy substance that generated a small cloud of yellow smoke, said Evergreen Fire Chief Garry DeJong.
If you subscribe to the newspaper, you receive FREE access to all the exclusive content of the web site! Simply register to receive uninterrupted access to our award-winning and in-depth local online content!
Renew Current or Past Subscription / Register for Online Subscription
If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Canyon Courier, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.
New Subscription/30 Day Free Trial Account
If you are new to the award winning Canyon Courier and wish to get a subscription or simply gain access to our online content then please enter your ZIP code below and continue to setup your account.
Create a limited access account. Register to participate in community forums, post on the community calendar, blog etc. This registration does not give you full access to read our award winning content, etc.
Canyon Courier | email@example.com | 303-350-1030 27902 Meadow Drive, Ste 200, Evergreen, CO 80439 Office Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday