A hazardous chemical spill at a home in a residential area of Evergreen on Monday evening turned out to be nitric acid that had been stored in a keg-size container.
Authorities found two kegs and some 28 drums, most of which were empty, that had been piling up under some trees since the mid-‘60s.
Someone from the home was cleaning up the area about 5 p.m. Monday when one of the barrels accidentally tipped, releasing a sludgy substance that generated a small cloud of yellow smoke, said Evergreen Fire Chief Garry DeJong.
If you subscribe to the newspaper, you receive FREE access to all the exclusive content of the web site! Simply register to receive uninterrupted access to our award-winning and in-depth local online content!
Renew Current or Past Subscription / Register for Online Subscription
If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Canyon Courier, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.
Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.
You have used all your free page views for the month however if you wish to create a FREE limited access account you will be able to view an additional 2 pages per month.
You can also purchase a subscription and have full access to the site. To purchase a subscription simply enter your zipcode below
Canyon Courier | firstname.lastname@example.org | 303-350-1030 27902 Meadow Drive, Ste 250, Evergreen, CO 80439 Office Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday