Lady Cougars stay on task, topple Lobos

-A A +A

EHS scores twice in the 2nd half to beat Conifer for first time in 3 years

By Michael Hicks

The first half was a free-flowing offensive showcase, with both host Evergreen and Conifer pelting shots on goal from long distance.
The second half was all about the Lady Cougars staying focused on the task at hand. That task was not only staying unbeaten in the 4A Jeffco League, but doing something they haven’t done in three years — and that’s beat Conifer.
Evergreen, thanks to second-half goals from Zoe Peterson and Jahna Pusedu, did just that by snapping a 2-all halftime tie with back-to-back goals early in the second half for a 4-2 girls soccer victory at Evergreen High School.
“I thought it was just a great high school game. To go up 2-0 and have the other team score two great goals and you’re tied 2-2, you’re starting the game over again,” Evergreen head coach Peter Jeans said. “We played a great second half. We really pushed the pace on them.”
Peterson scored twice, while Nicole Adreon started the scoring for Evergreen in the game’s opening minutes as the Lady Cougars (7-4-1, 6-0 4A Jeffco) ended Conifer’s two-year reign as Mountain Cup champions.
“Coach was telling us how big this game was,” Peterson said. “They won the trophy two years in a row, and this was our one senior’s last year, so we knew we had to win that trophy for her. It all paid off in the end.”
Adreon’s goal just 5 minutes, 40 seconds into the game set the tone, as she hit from 20 yards out just left of the outstretched arms of Conifer goalkeeper Samantha Prince.
“We knew that a lot of their previous goals were scored from far out. So we knew they were going to be shooting that way. I just saw the opportunity to score,” Adreon said. “I usually don’t take far shots, but it was a good opportunity.”
The first of Peterson’s two goals gave EHS a 2-0 lead before Conifer tied it later in the half. Kelsie Treloar and Jennifer Mussell scored for Conifer (3-9, 2-4).
Mussell’s goal came with just 31 seconds left in the first half, but the Lady Lobos couldn’t maintain that momentum over the game’s final 40 minutes.
“I think we just kind of lost control of the ball. They had great intensity in the second half. I think that really outdid us,” Treloar said. “It was just their intensity and their heart. They really had good heart in the second half.”
From a technical standpoint, Conifer head coach Matthew Guglielmo didn’t see much difference between the first half and the second.
“I’m not 100 percent sure it was anything done tactically by Evergreen or by us. I think whoever scored first in the second half, and someone was going to, would’ve been the difference in the game,” Guglielmo said. “We had a couple of chances to score right away. They had a couple of chances to score.
“With high school soccer, momentum is so important. A lead here, and one goal could be like three goals. It’s almost insurmountable at times. We still had chances, but once they went up 3-2, it was tricky. I don’t know if it was anything tactical. We didn’t change anything. I don’t think they did. Kudos to them. They deserve it. They held on to (the lead) and then they got the other one, and (the game) was too far out of reach.”

Contact Michael Hicks at sports@evergreenco.com or 303-933-2233, ext. 15.