.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

King-Murphy Elementary closed Tuesday after minor fire

-A A +A
By Deb Hurley Brobst

King-Murphy Elementary School was closed Tuesday after a small fire in the boiler room on Monday forced students and teachers to be transported to Clear Creek High/Middle School.

A compressor caught fire, and a maintenance worker at the school put it out with an extinguisher before firefighters arrived about 1:30 p.m., according to Doug Saba, a spokesman for Evergreen Fire/Rescue.

The compressor blew out the school’s heating system, and on Tuesday workers were expected to fix the problem. Families were able to get more information Tuesday afternoon on the King-Murphy website and on its Facebook page about whether school would reopen Wednesday.

Saba said high winds caused the building to lose power twice, and when the power returned, it overloaded the compressor, which began to smoke and caught fire.