The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has announced temporary fire restrictions for all unincorporated areas of the county.
The restrictions also include a portion of the Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forest off Brook Forest Road and will be in effect until further notice.
While the restrictions are in effect, the following activities are prohibited:
• Building, maintaining, attending or using any fire or campfire except within a permanently constructed fire grate in a developed park, campground or picnic area.
• Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area of at least 3 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all combustible material.
Burn permits issued and not executed prior to the effective date of the temporary fire restrictions will not be authorized unless approved by the issuing agency on the day of execution.
Exemptions approved under the temporary fire restrictions include:
• People with a valid written permit from the sheriff or appropriate fire authority that specifically authorizes the prohibited act.
• Any federal, state, or local law enforcement or fire officer acting in the performance of an official duty.
• Any fires contained within liquid-fueled or gas-fueled stoves, or charcoal-grill fires at private residences.
• Campfires or bonfires required in religious ceremonies and for which a valid written permit has been granted in advance by the local fire department or district.