.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Home on Deer Path damaged by fire

-A A +A
By Deb Hurley Brobst

A home in the 6000 block of Deer Path that had new owners as of Friday was damaged by fire Sunday morning.

No one was home when the fire started about 10:30 a.m., and Evergreen firefighters rescued the family’s two dogs. One was fine, and the other was taken to a veterinarian to be checked out, according to Evergreen Fire/Rescue spokeswoman Stacee Montague. The dog has been released from the animal hospital and returned to the owners.

The fire was put out in less than an hour, Montague said, thanks to the many volunteer firefighters who live in the Brook Forest Drive area and at least four neighbors who called 911 to report smoke.

The blaze is believed to have started as a chimney fire that spread to other parts of the house, but it is still being investigated. The living room, a bedroom and a bathroom were damaged, Montague said, though most of the damage was from water and smoke. There is a sizable hole in the roof.

“They should be able to get back in the house pretty quickly,” she said.

The four-bedroom, two-story house is under 3,000 square feet, she said. Most of the family’s belongings were still in boxes.

Despite steady winds, there were no concerns about a wildland fire, she said. The location of the blaze is close to where the Bluebell Fire scorched 10 acres last June.

Since the family had lived in Evergreen only two days, it took some work to get in touch with the owners, Montague said. The fire department called the real estate agent, who was able to track down a phone number. The cars in the driveway had North Dakota plates on them, she said.

The Salvation Army is helping to provide temporary housing and money for basic necessities.

“This is not the way we like to welcome people to Evergreen, by any means,” Montague said. She said firefighters were happy to be able to tell the owners’ young children that their pets were safe.

Twenty-five firefighters using eight trucks attacked the blaze and hauled water to the property from Station 8, which is on Brook Forest Road. The Elk Creek Fire Department headed to the scene but was told that the blaze was under control and that assistance wasn’t needed.

“At the end of the day, the family was safe and sound,” Montague said. “No one got hurt, and it was a great community effort. We’re just really lucky that we have a volunteer department like this and how fast people can get here. We have stations strategically located. It makes a difference for our community.”