The Evergreen Fire Department and West Metro/Arvada hazmat teams responded to a chemical spill at 2785 Lemaster Drive in Evergreen on Monday evening that forced an evacuation of about 12 homes.
By about 8:30 p.m., authorities had determined the spill contained nitric acid used for stripping furniture, Evergreen Fire Chief Garry DeJong said.
The residents who were evacuated were able to return to their homes; some had gathered at Alderfer/Three Sisters Park.
A private company was hired to clean up the site on
Tuesday, DeJong said. The name of the homeowner was not
The fire department first received the call about 5 p.m. By 8 p.m., technicians in hazmat suits had retrieved some of the material, which had been in 55-gallon drums at the home before they spilled. The technicians took the sample to a lab for analysis.
DeJong said the homeowner who owned the drums knocked two of them over, causing a chemical reaction and light smoke.
There were 28 drums at the home, most of which were empty. The smoking effect was the result of nitric acid in contact with water.