Evergreen man free on bond after car-bike accident

-A A +A
By Vicky Gits

The driver involved in a car-versus-bicycle accident has been released from a Denver hospital, and the bicyclist is out of intensive care and reported to be in fair condition. The driver is out of jail on $60,000 bond.

Jefferson County sheriff’s deputies arrested Jeffrey S. Detlefs, 57, of Evergreen on a number of charges, including vehicular assault, DUI and leaving the scene of an accident involving serious bodily injury.

The accident occurred Sunday afternoon, Aug. 16, on the eastbound ramp from Evergreen Parkway to I-70.

Over the weekend, Detlefs was hospitalized for a minor stroke and missed a court appearance on Friday in county court. Prior to that, he was being held in the Jefferson County jail.

Because the bicycle rider, Rex Hegyi, is a lawyer in the public defender’s office in Jefferson County, the case has been turned over to the Denver district attorney’s office, which will appoint a special prosecutor.

Detlefs is an attorney for a Denver law firm. He is being represented by Denver attorney David L. Miller.

Hegyi’s injuries were severe, and he was taken by helicopter to St. Anthony Central Hospital in Denver, where he was listed in serious condition in intensive care through Friday afternoon. As of Monday, his condition had been upgraded to fair.

The first troopers to arrive on the scene of the accident Aug. 16 found a license plate registered to Detlef’s 2004 SUV on the paved shoulder near several other pieces of debris.

Evidence showed that Hegyi was riding his bicycle east on the shoulder and was struck from behind by a vehicle, causing the bicycle and rider to be thrown east. The bicycle broke apart on impact, according to the arrest affidavit compiled by Trooper Kirk M. Firko, who responded to the scene.

The main portion of the bicycle rested in the grass near a tree. Hegyi was lying at the edge of the road.

The patrol said a brake caliper from Hegyi’s bicycle was later found lodged in the front bumper of the Lexus and that blood was on the front of the vehicle in two different locations.

When the State Patrol arrived at Detlefs’ house in Hiwan, officers reportedly observed signs of intoxication, including obvious alcoholic odor, bloodshot eyes and staggered walking. Detlefs voluntarily agreed to perform a roadside sobriety test, which he reportedly failed.

Detlefs agreed to be taken for blood tests to Evergreen Fire Station No. 2.

The investigator who interviewed Detlefs’ three children, said they told him that prior to the crash, Detlefs had three minor collisions with trees and a trash can in the driveway of their home.

During a recorded interview with Trooper Firko, Detlefs reportedly admitted to drinking gin and tonic throughout the day prior to the accident and said he had no recollection of the event.

Contact Vicky Gits at 303-350-1042 or vicky@evergreenco.com